Free Will versus the Programmed Brain

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=free-will-vs-programmed-brain&sc=WR_20080826

People are starting to understand that a human being is just a collection of neurons. Things are determined. Humans are behaving as per how the brain works. Brain has 100 billion neurons and the complex connections help in the complex behaviour.

Neurons are so big that there is no place for uncertainty principle or principles of quantum mechanics. Or could it be that the dendrites and axons are smaller than neurons that uncertainty principle may apply. I guess that even if that is true, it may not be the reason for the stable complex behaviour and free will. But overall I do believe that a human brain is a determined machine. Quantum uncertainty would not apply.

At the same time, I would say that every human being is morally responsible for his own actions. Another way of saying this is that my brain is determined to say that "things are determined but I am morally responsible for my own actions" :-)

Comments

Vinayagamoorthy said…
Correct way of saying is that it has been determined that my brain would say that "things are determined but I am morally responsible for my own actions" :-)

Fixed Future and not Fixed Nature.

Popular posts from this blog

Contentment

Time management tips